Apply Payment from Patient or Other Payer
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Once the General information for a payment from the patient or other payer is entered, the appropriate amounts of the payment are manually applied to the corresponding service lines.
Apply Patient or Other Payment
- Find the payment then double click to open it. The General tab of the Edit Payment window opens.
- Click Apply Now. The Apply tab opens.
- Use the top options to add a patient or encounter as necessary.
Note: For patient payments, the patient entered under the General tab is automatically added and all open service lines associated with the patient are listed.
- Defaults to Add Patient. To add service lines by encounter ID instead, click the drop-down arrow and select Add Encounter.
Note: When an encounter is added, all service lines associated with the encounter are listed.
- If necessary, enter the patient's name or encounter ID. Then, press Enter on the keyboard. The service lines are listed.
Tip: When adding an encounter, enter the encounter ID + Z (e.g., 176Z) to quickly add the appropriate encounter record and avoid having to search and select it.
- If the Find Patient or Select Encounter window opens, search and select the appropriate record.
- Show Only: Defaults to Selected. Click the drop-down arrow to select to list All, Open, Settled, or Negative Balances service lines.
- Click to select the patient and/or service line the payment amount needs to be applied to.
- Under the Patient tab, enter the following information.
Note: As the information is entered, verify the transaction lines (in bold) posted on the right side of the window are correct. Once the payment is saved, these transaction lines are posted under the Transactions section of the corresponding Claim record.
- Paid: The amount of the payment to apply to the selected service line.
- Status: If there is a remaining balance after the payment amount is applied, click the drop-down arrow to select the appropriate status update. Then, enter a reason code if applicable.
- Note: Internal notes related to the payment amount applied that will display when viewing claim transaction line details.
- Once the payment amount is applied to the selected service line, do one of the following.
- To continue applying amounts of the payment, click Next Line if the amount should be applied to the next service line listed, or click to select the appropriate service line. Then, repeat steps 5-6 as necessary.
- If finished applying the appropriate amount(s) to the corresponding service line(s), click Save.