CMS 144 - Heart Failure (HF): Beta-Blocker Therapy for Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction (LVSD)
Updated: 06/13/2023 | Views: 767
- Last updated
Save as PDF
CMS 144 / Quality ID# 008
Percentage of patients aged 18 years and older with a diagnosis of heart failure (HF) with a current or prior left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) <=40% who were prescribed or already taking beta-blocker therapy during the measurement period.
||All patients aged 18 years and older with two qualifying encounters during the measurement period and a diagnosis of heart failure with a current or prior LVEF <=40%.
- Patient’s age is calculated based on the patient’s Date of Birth, which is entered when you created the patient’s account.
- Create a note detailing the patient’s office visit.
- The diagnosis of "Heart Failure or Moderately" is entered in the patient’s Problems with a Start Date.
- LVEF results are manually entered in Labs/Studies.
||Patients with a history of heart transplant or with a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) prior to the end of the outpatient encounter with Moderate or Severe LVSD.
- “History of Heart Transplant” is documented in Hospitalizations/Procedures.
- “Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) is documented under Problems with a Start Date.
- “Moderate or Severe LVSD” is documented under Problems with a Start Date.
||Patients who were prescribed or already taking beta-blocker therapy during the measurement period.
- Documentation of medical reason(s) for not prescribing beta-blocker therapy (e.g., arrhythmia, asthma, bradycardia, hypotension, patients with atrioventricular block without cardiac pacer, observation of consecutive heart rates <50, allergy, intolerance, other medical reasons).
- Documentation of patient reason(s) for not prescribing beta-blocker therapy (e.g. patient declined, other patient reason)
- If “Arrhythmia”, “Asthma” “Bradycardia”, “Hypotension”, “Atrioventricular Block”, and/or "Allergy to Beta-Blocker Therapy", are documented under Problems, each with a Start Date, these patients will be excluded from the numerator.
- If "Allergy to Beta Blocker Therapy" is documented under Allergies with a Start Date, these patients will be excluded from the numerator.
- If “Cardiac Pacer” is documented in Hospitalizations/Procedures and “Atrioventricular Block” is documented under Problems, these patients will be excluded from the numerator.
- If there was a Medical or Patient Reason for not prescribing ACE inhibitor or ARB therapy, add the medication as Not Administered and select a reason (Medical Contraindication or Refusal of Treatment by Patient) for non administration.
|Office Visit Documentation:
Once all steps have been completed, the measure will be added to the Quality Measures Report.
|High Priority Measure: