Updated: 07/07/2023 | Views: 3338
- Last updated
Save as PDF
Clinical makes it easy to renew both active and discontinued medications from a patient's chart. When renewing a medication, note the following:
- Medications that were added to a patient's chart for informational purposes may require a new prescription if required information (e.g., instructions, quantity, etc.) was not included.
- When renewing in response to an "Rx Renewal Received" message, the prescription information may be changed.
- A renewed prescription may trigger a drug-drug interactions or a drug-allergy interaction alert.
- ePrescription of controlled substances (EPCS) enrolled providers can electronically renew a mix of controlled substances and other medications in bulk.
- Providers have the option to print specific medication renewals from within the same workflow.
Access Patient Medications
- Enter the first 2–3 letters of the patient's name or date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy) in the top navigation bar search box.
- Click to select the patient from the auto-populated results. The patient's Facesheet page opens.
- Click Medications. The Active Medications page opens.
- Click to select the medication(s) to renew under the Active or Discontinued tab. A mixture of medications and controlled substances may be selected.
Note: For EPCS enrolled providers, up to 50 controlled substances can be selected.
- Click Renew. The Renew Selected pop-up window opens.
- Review the medication(s) and make any applicable changes.
- If specific medications must be printed, click to select "Print".
- If applicable, select how to send the Rx Savings Coupon to the patient.
- Click Renew or Validate to process the renewal:
- If "Print" was selected, the prescription opens as a PDF. Print the prescription using the browser's print function. The renewal is logged under the medication in the Active Medications list.
- If non-EPCS medications were selected, the renewal is sent electronically to the pharmacy. The renewal is logged under the medication in the Active Medications list.
Note: This option is only available for eRx enrolled providers. If the provider is not enrolled, renewals will be printed.
- If controlled substances were selected, the EPCSGold page opens in a new browser. Proceed to Authenticate EPCS Renewal for instructions to complete the renewal.
Note: This option is only available for EPCS enrolled providers. If the provider is not enrolled, renewals will be printed.
Authenticate EPCS Renewal
If controlled substances were selected for renewal, authenticate the prescriptions to send the renewal electronically to the pharmacy.
- Click to select the prescription(s).
- Select the token Device from the drop-down.
- Enter the passphrase created during EPCS user registration.
- Enter the PIN from the token.
Tip: If the PIN is about to expire, wait for the next PIN to generate to avoid repeating this step.
- Click Sign and Send when finished. The renewal is logged under the medication in the Active Medications list.